A few days ago I posted a comparison between FreeBSD’s bhyve and VMWare ESXi 5.5. I received a lot of feedbacks from the result of our test, so we decided to investigate further with a new round of tests, in a more scientific approach.
As in previous test, we used a standard “empty” FreeBSD 10 machine + latest portsnap that we used as our main “template”. The VM was using “ahci-hd” as the storage backend and the tests were run in SSH, not local console. We always started from this template for every test and run the same test in different scenarios. The hardware was the same one as the previous tests.
Note: I didn’t write it in the past post, but our first round of test was run on a ZFS filesystem with both compression and deduplication enabled.